The Sims 4
- Developer: Maxis, The Sims Studio
- Genre: Simulation
- Version: latest
|Release Date||September 2, 2014|
|Developer||Maxis, The Sims Studio|
|System||PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, macOS Under development: Android, iOS, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch|
The Sims 4 Review
The Sims 4 is the fourth major title in the life simulation video game series The Sims. This rather glamorous real-life simulator got majorly polished and refined in comparison with its previous incarnation - The Sims 3. And now those simulated little munchkins can resemble actual humans even more than before.
Scarily more than before. And accessible on the most popular platforms, except for the portable ones. Sorry, no The Sims 4 for iPad today.
What's new in the Sims 4 game?
It's obvious that the developers decided to bring the game back to its roots and concentrate most of the artistic effort on the emotions, personality traits, clothing fashion, body physique and social interaction of the little fake people.
Your odyssey begins at the CAS stage - Create a Sim, in other words. This is where you can sculpt your avatar's:
- Appearance - customizing every little detail starting with the hair color and finishing with the shape of the lips and face.
- Body - make your Sim athletic, skeleton-like skinny or really huge.
- Walk - you decide how your Sim will move in the game.
You may choose an elegant feminine walk, arrogant swaggy style, and almost a Monty Python's silly strolling.
- Talk - the tone, age, and pitch of the voice are customizable.
- Age - choose anything except for a toddler - this age has been cut off.
- Life Aspiration - plans, wishes, and dreams.
Tweaking and conditioning your character is actually pretty engaging, intuitive and smooth - your Sim's body transitions seamlessly as you apply a new trait. However, it may consume a load of your time and if you wanna skip the painstaking process of shaping the simulated persona you can resort to various presets. Pinterest might have some.
When it comes to the clothing phase, this where a true paradise for a fashion geek can begin. There are a few categories to divide your garments into:
As you can see, each clothing segment is suitable for a specific occasion.
There are some clothing presets as well which you can quickly modify according to your personal tastes and preferences. But if the in-game premade clothes aren't enough for you, you can always tailor your own or download the outfits designed by other people: from underwear to a majestic evening silk dress.
For example, The Sims Resource has hundreds of those or you can try out the Gallery, which works in The Sims 4 for PS4, PC etc. equally fine.
Too bad though that the game didn’t go mobile and there’s no chance to get The Sims 4 for iOS, for example. The Sims 4 for 3DS is non-existent either. What a past-time it could be.
Living like a dream
There are some noteworthy changes in the Sims modes as well.
- Emotions - now they are more subtle and complex. Along with desires, needs, situations, and actions, they radically affect your Sim's mood. Up to 3 active desires can coexist in a Sim's head and one of them is dictated by emotions.
- Queue actions - now your Sim can grab a snack and hit the dance floor, sit on the potty and play some mobile game (perhaps The Sims 4 for Android). And all that stuff happens at the same time.
- Lots - the number of building lots has been reduced.
- Tools - As a compensation you get an increased pallet of the creative building instruments. You can regulate wall/roof height, choose a pre-made template for a room and tweak the exterior of your residency.
- Window placing - now it can be done automatically, but this feature is responsible for a number of glitches and bugs.
The Sims world looks even sharper and more detailed now, however still retaining its trademark Barbie-like visual aesthetics thanks to which it’s hard to tell the difference between The Sims 4 for Xbox One or PS4. Animations and sound effects received a noticeable facelift as well - they nicely accompany various situations and moods experienced by the simulated folks.
Two new worlds, accessible from the live game, are introduced in The Sims 4: Willow Creek mimicking New Orleans and Oasis Spring, inspired by Phoenix. Despite each world has 6 neighborhoods, all in all, it feels that the game has a smaller space for roaming, building and exploring now.
Sadly walking, bicycling and vehicle using has been edited out. If you need to travel to a new destination - use your in-game smartphone and sit through a loading screen.
Sadly The Sims 4 for Xbox 360 and The Sims 4 for Wii U never made it to see the light.
Tips & tricks
1) You can import new characters, items, clothes and all sorts of useful stuff created by the fan community from the Gallery. It is located in the top right corner of the screen.
2) In order to squeeze everything you can out of your Sim's personality traits, choose the most favorable of them:
- Active - good for re-energizing and getting a hot-smoking body.
- Self-assured - quick ascension on the career ladder.
- Ambitious - enables you to earn more and more money absolutely legally.
- Romantic - your Sim becomes irresistibly charming and seductive to the opposite sex.
3) In case your Sim has an urgent need, simply click on it to make them satisfy this need themselves.
4) Appeasing your character's desires grants you even more Satisfaction point. There can be 3 desires (or whims if you please) at a single moment. The one dictated by emotions is highlighted by a color in the thought bubble - most of the time you might want to focus on this one.
5) Out the windows in your soon-to-be mansion manually. Window auto-placing has been notorious for its glitchiness and besides the result of this procedure always looks appallingly bad.
6) To earn a ton of satisfaction points in The Sims 4 for PC do the following:
- Press Ctrl - Shift - C at the same time.
- Type in Testingcheats true.
- Choose an ambition that is totally opposite to your Sim's personality.
- Place this command: aspirations.complete_current_milestone in the cheat box.
This little magic spell will finalize the current aspiration and grant you with a big number of satisfaction points.
7) To activate the console in The Sims 4 for Xbox One, press all the shoulder buttons simultaneously. Just press Command - Shift - C at the same time if you have The Sims 4 for Mac.
8) If you resort to cheat in The Sims 4 for Windows 10, 7, 8 you'll be okay, But on PS4 that escapade will be punished by Achievements & Trophies getting locked for you.
The Sims 4 is a nice and addictive life simulator, with a humorous touch. You can create a whole army of personas, making each one unique and memorable, which guarantees hours of good time for you.
Top-3 The Sims 4 videos
- The Sims 4 Seasons: Official Reveal Trailer - Sims4game.com Fansite
- The Sims 4: Xbox and PS4 Official Launch Trailer - Sims4game.com Fansite
- The Sims 4 City Living: Official Launch Trailer
This links follow to webpage, where you will find links to official sources of Sims 4 game. If you are Windows, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, or macOS user, then just click to button below and go to the page with links. Please note that this game may ask for additional in-game purchases and permissions when installed.