The Sims 4
- Developer: Maxis, The Sims Studio
- Genre: Simulation
- Version: latest
|Release Date||September 2, 2014|
|Developer||Maxis, The Sims Studio|
|System||PC, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, macOS Under development: Android, iOS, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch|
The Sims 4 Review
The Sims 4 is the fourth major title in the well-known life simulation video game series. Creators at Maxis put even more complexity into the gameplay and characters. Compared to its previous incarnation everyone’s favorite glamorous real-life simulator got majorly polished and refined, and now those simulated little munchkins resemble actual humans even more than before (which can get scary sometimes). If you’re familiar with at least one game of the Sims series, you’ll catch with this chapter right away: gameplay builds around your friendly neighborhood, but this time it has more vibrant characters and exciting storylines. We promise you countless new creative possibilities in Create a Sim and Build modes, ways of downloading content without leaving the game and astonishing gameplay twists.
The Sims 4: Release Dates
The game is accessible on all the most popular platforms except the portable ones. It was initially released in September 2014. See the list of release dates on different platforms below:
September 2, 2014 - Windows PC version.
February 17, 2015 - Mac OS version.
November 17, 2017 - console version for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
What's new in the Sims 4 game?
It's obvious that the developers decided to bring the game back to its roots and concentrate most of the artistic effort on the emotions, personality traits, clothing fashion, body physique and social interaction of the little fake people.
Your odyssey begins at the CAS stage - Create a Sim, in other words. This is where you can sculpt your avatar's:
- Appearance - customizing every little detail starting with the hair color and finishing with the shape of the lips and face.
- Body - make your Sim athletic, skeleton-like skinny or really huge.
- Walk - you decide how your Sim will move in the game.
- You may choose an elegant, feminine walk, arrogant swaggy style, and almost a Monty Python's silly strolling.
- Talk - the tone, age, and pitch of the voice are customizable.
- Age - choose anything except for a toddler - this age has been cut off.
- Life Aspiration - plans, wishes, and dreams.
Tweaking and conditioning your character is actually pretty engaging, intuitive and smooth - your Sim's body transitions seamlessly as you apply a new trait. However, it may consume a load of your time, and if you wanna skip the painstaking process of shaping the simulated persona, you can resort to various presets. Pinterest might have some.
The Sims 4 has developed your ability of personalization to the maximum, but there’s still a way to grow. The Sims fan forums are bustling with guess-work on the features of the new Sims 5, said to be released this year. It seems like with the up-to-date graphics abilities the facial expression scale will widen even more, the cosmetic sets and filters will make a much more visible impact on your Sim appearance.
When it comes to the clothing phase, this where a true paradise for a fashion geek can begin. There are a few categories to divide your garments into:
As you can see, each clothing segment is suitable for a specific occasion.
There are some clothing presets as well which you can quickly modify according to your personal tastes and preferences. But if the in-game premade clothes aren't enough for you, you can always tailor your own or download the outfits designed by other people: from underwear to a majestic evening silk dress.
For example, The Sims Resource has hundreds of those, or you can try out the Gallery, which works in The Sims 4 for PS4, PC, etc. equally fine.
Too bad though that the game didn’t go mobile and there’s no chance to get The Sims 4 for iOS, for example. The Sims 4 for 3DS is non-existent either. What a past-time it could be.
Living like a dream
There are some noteworthy changes in the Sims modes as well.
- Emotions - now they are more subtle and complex. Along with desires, needs, situations, and actions, they radically affect your Sim's mood. Up to 3 active desires can coexist in a Sim's head, and one of them is dictated by emotions.
- Queue actions - now your Sim can grab a snack and hit the dance floor, sit on the potty and play some mobile game (perhaps The Sims 4 for Android). And all that stuff happens at the same time.
- Lots - the number of building lots has been reduced.
- Tools - As a compensation, you get an increased pallet of the creative building instruments. You can regulate wall/roof height, choose a pre-made template for a room and tweak the exterior of your residency.
- Window placing - now it can be done automatically, but this feature is responsible for a number of glitches and bugs.
The Sims world looks even sharper and more detailed now, however still retaining its trademark Barbie-like visual aesthetics thanks to which it’s hard to tell the difference between The Sims 4 for Xbox One or PS4. Animations and sound effects received a noticeable facelift as well - they nicely accompany various situations and moods experienced by the simulated folks.
Two new worlds, accessible from the live game, are introduced in The Sims 4: Willow Creek mimicking New Orleans and Oasis Spring, inspired by Phoenix. Despite each world has 6 neighborhoods, all in all, it feels that the game has a smaller space for roaming, building and exploring now.
Sadly walking, bicycling and vehicle using has been edited out. If you need to travel to a new destination - use your in-game smartphone and sit through a loading screen. The developers made some hints on incorporating a large world map into the next game in the series, the much awaited The Sims 5, though there isn’t a set release date yet.
Sadly The Sims 4 for Xbox 360 and The Sims 4 for Wii U never made it to see the light. It’s highly possible that the next game in the series will concentrate on consoles with a special release for new generations of Xbox and PlayStations. VR play mode is also a great probability.
The Sims 4 Mods
Like any other part of The Sims, the game has some unique modifications that add new depth to the gameplay with the help of rebuilding some of its mechanisms or even adding new ones. Usually created by the fans of the game, they are not of any danger to your system if you install them properly. Still, sometimes they can cause bugs and crashes so try to install approved mods only. Here are some of them:
- The Sims 4 Pregnancy Mod - pregnancy is an essential part of every Sim’s life since The Sims 2, but with the help of mods for The Sims 4 not only your Sim women can get pregnant, Sim men make good baby-carriers too! Besides, there is good news for couples of the same sex: they don’t need to adopt a baby anymore, it will b born from one of the mothers (or fathers) with all the parental features. Moreover, you can influence the sex of your offspring, set the pregnancy stage, and even terminate the pregnancy.
- The Sims 4 Sexuality Mod - technically all your Sims are bisexual, but they tend to flirt to Sims of the same sex they’ve had romantic interactions with before. If your story needs a Sim of particular sexual preferences, you can add them with the help of a special gender preference set. This mod will help you to choose the gender your Sim relates to and set him or her to be straight, homosexual, bisexual or even asexual.
- The Sims 4 Careers Mod - career-building is an important part of your Sim’s life, so there’s plenty of mods to boost it up, get a better salary or no to put so much effort into it. Besides, there’s a list of additional careers with more than a hundred names in it. You can become a soul diva, a drag queen or a ghost hunter among many others.
The Sims 4 Downloadable Content (Full list)
The Sims 4 expansions and game packs that you can get at Electronic Arts Store.
Sims 4 Game Packs:
- The Sims 4 Outdoor Retreat: the first official pack for the game with a new destination for camping and outdoor activities, and a nice herbalist skill bonus.
- The Sims 4 Jungle Adventure: your Sims can book a vacation at Selvadorada, where they learn local culture and develop their archeology skills to find treasures.
- The Sims 4 Parenthood: this pack has a new set of the object for family activities and lets your adult Sims to develop their skill of parenthood.
- The Sims 4 Vampires: the first game pack released for console versions, it includes a new immortal mode of life, new world Forgotten Hallow and supernatural powers for your Sims.
- The Sims 4 Dine Out: with this pack, the Sim abilities to dine at the restaurants or get into the restaurant business are added.
- The Sims 4 Spa Day: this pack includes a new spa venue, lots of new objects and a wellness skill.
Sims 4 Expansion packs:
- The Sims 4 Get To Work: first expansion pack that included three new careers, Doctor, Detective and Scientist, and retail business opportunities.
- The Sims 4 Get Famous: the pack opens up a new world of Del Sol Valley where your Sim can befriend a star or become one themselves.
- The Sims 4 Seasons: with this pack, your Sims can experience the changing weather and calendar holidays, as well as build new weather-related careers.
- The Sims 4 Cats & Dogs: the pack brings cats and dogs of many breeds into the game, it also allows you to have raccoons and foxes as your pets and start a vet business.
- The Sims 4 City Living: the pack adds city world of San Mushyno with lots of unique objects and locations to discover.
- The Sims 4 Get Together: this pack includes the new world for your sims to hang out and socialize in nightclubs, coffee shops, and more.
Sims 4 Stuff Packs:
Besides game packs and expansion packs, there are stuff packs for the game, they include brand new sets of objects for your Sims’ homes.
- The Sims 4 My first Pet Stuff
- The Sims 4 Laundry Day Stuff
- The Sims 4 Toddler Stuff
- The Sims 4 Fitness Stuff
- The Sims 4 Bowling Night Stuff
- The Sims 4 Vintage Glamour Stuff
- The Sims 4 Backyard Stuff
- The Sims 4 Kids Room Stuff
- The Sims 4 Romantic Garden Stuff
- The Sims 4 Movie Hangout Stuff
- The Sims 4 Spooky Stuff
- The Sims 4 Cool Kitchen Stuff
- The Sims 4 Perfect Patio Stuff
- The Sims 4 Luxury Party Stuff
In addition to the standard game packs, you can create custom content that will completely satisfy all your wishes. Or, you can download Sims 4 mods and items created by other users.
The Sims 4 Custom Content
Apart from the main downloadable content, there is another important part of the game named The Sims 4 CC. CC means custom content, it’s not as complicated as mods, and it doesn’t have such a great impact on the game, but it works a lot like them. You can get The Sims 4 CC hair, The Sims 4 CC clothes or The Sims 4 CC makeup created by other on the game fan forums or create your own items. Custom content usually works well, and it can be easily eliminated in case of crashes and glitches. Don’t forget to check other gamers' reviews and recommendations of the content you choose to download.
The Sims 4 Cheats
Even with such amazing quantities of official paks and unofficial mods, The Sims fans are hungry for more. To satisfy their hunger developers made some cheats to boost the game or make it funnier. The most popular of them are money-making cheats that allow you to have more money than you can gain by simply doing your jobs. There are also cheats for staying alive forever, for building everywhere, for unlocking special career bonus items and for even turning your Sim into a ghost. The full list of cheats is available on official Sim wiki.
Tips & tricks
1) You can import new characters, items, clothes and all sorts of useful stuff created by the fan community from the Gallery. It is located in the top right corner of the screen.
2) In order to squeeze everything you can out of your Sim's personality traits, choose the most favorable of them:
- Active - good for re-energizing and getting a hot-smoking body.
- Self-assured - quick ascension on the career ladder.
- Ambitious - enables you to earn more and more money absolutely legally.
- Romantic - your Sim becomes irresistibly charming and seductive to the opposite sex.
3) In case your Sim has an urgent need, simply click on it to make them satisfy this need themselves.
4) Appeasing your character's desires grants you even more Satisfaction point. There can be 3 desires (or whims if you please) at a single moment. The one dictated by emotions is highlighted by a color in the thought bubble - most of the time you might want to focus on this one.
5) Out the windows in your soon-to-be mansion manually. Window auto-placing has been notorious for its glitchiness and besides the result of this procedure always looks appallingly bad.
6) To earn a ton of satisfaction points in The Sims 4 for PC do the following:
- Press Ctrl - Shift - C at the same time.
- Type in Testingcheats true.
- Choose an ambition that is totally opposite to your Sim's personality.
- Place this command: aspirations.complete_current_milestone in the cheat box.
This little magic spell will finalize the current aspiration and grant you with a big number of satisfaction points.
7) To activate the console in The Sims 4 for Xbox One, press all the shoulder buttons simultaneously. Just press Command - Shift - C at the same time if you have The Sims 4 for Mac.
8) If you resort to cheating in The Sims 4 for Windows 10, 7, 8 you'll be okay, But on PS4 that escapade will be punished by Achievements & Trophies getting locked for you.
The Sims 4 is a nice and addictive life simulator, with a humorous touch. You can create a whole army of personas, making each one unique and memorable, which guarantees hours of good time for you. Rumors have it that in The Sims 5 there will be official mods for literally everything, but while we wait for it, let’s use all the game packs and custom content there is to the maximum.
Sims 4 is definitely better and more captivating than its predecessor. The authors have done an excellent job on humanizing the Sims, but it wouldn't hurt to bring bicycling, walking and car-riding back into the game.
Top-3 The Sims 4 videos
- The Sims 4 Seasons: Official Reveal Trailer - Sims4game.com Fansite
- The Sims 4: Xbox and PS4 Official Launch Trailer - Sims4game.com Fansite
- The Sims 4 City Living: Official Launch Trailer
This links follow to webpage, where you will find links to official sources of Sims 4 game. If you are Windows, Mac, PS4, Xbox One, or macOS user, then just click to button below and go to the page with links. Please note that this game may ask for additional in-game purchases and permissions when installed.